If you'd like to follow the discussion about our newest model, the thread is here.
Here's Dave's RMWeb post:
So, after running it for 15mins in forward and 15mins in reverse on the rollers with straight DC I had the body off and fitted a decoder.
Then I had a go at painting and weathering.
I removed the oil lamp by easing it out with a pair of snipe-nosed pliers and filled the hole with plastic rod, shaped to fit exactly into the square hole.
I gave the bodyork a coat of matt varnish to take the shine off and painted the wheels and rods. The rods have been given a touch of weathering where the driver has spilt oil when lubricating them. This was done using a mix of red-brown, gunmetal and satin black.
The running plate has been painted with matt black that has a touch of white added and a touch of weathering powders brushed onto the running plate. The shiny silver hand rails and bonnet handles have been painted over with rust.
The buffers have been painted with a rust-coloured mix and the same mix of as on the rods has been applied to them.
I am currently painting a driver figure and will add the oil can that came with the loco as soon as that too is painted.
I also painted the jack but I feel this ought to have been a seperate item with the toolkit, rather than being moulded on to the running plate.